Autor
remivill
Neuling
Neuling

PS 500 plate rubbing

#1 Beitrag von remivill » 03.02.2021, 23:22

Hello

Sorry for writing in English.

I just got hold of a PS500. It is my second one.

The problem is that the plate is rubbing on the faceplate and I can not figure what to do with the suspension as it appears to be at its highest position.
Even with the blocking screws, the plat rubs when I turn it by hand. It does not turn freely as it should.

I search the forum but I could not find any posts with that same description.

Any help would be appreciated. I am hopeless. :(

Cheers from Montreal
R

Paparierer

Re: PS 500 plate rubbing

#2 Beitrag von Paparierer » 04.02.2021, 01:38

Hi "remivill",
welcome to our forum!
We call each other by our first name, and you are invited to introduce yourself in the "Vorstellung" section - but it's not a mandatory thing, so no sweat!

There is this post about setting the hight of the platter for a PS500 - and it's even in English! :zwink:
If you don't get along with that please feel free to tell us - maybe some photos would be helpful.
I'll get off here because this player is not among my "prey"...

Yours, Gereon

stay positive & negative !

P.S. Writing in English should be no problem, there are some Forians who'll try their best to help translating.
...and one of us is living in Canada for a long time already.
Henry David Thoreau

remivill
Neuling
Neuling

#3 Beitrag von remivill » 04.02.2021, 14:31

Thank you for the relpy !
I will try to figure that out.
One thing that got me worrying is that even with the screws on (which brings the chassis at its highest possible position) the platter drags....

Cheers
Remi

Paparierer

#4 Beitrag von Paparierer » 06.02.2021, 11:02

Hi Remi,
first - it's easier to follow a topic and maybe the way to find its solution if we stick to one thread at a time.
You sure don't want to look for hints & help in various places.
And it's easier for others to find help if they encounter similar issues.

To keep it here I'll quote your latest input:
remivill hat geschrieben: 04.02.2021, 23:28 Here you can see that the blocking nuts (for the transport screws) are touching the faceplate. I supposed they should not ? Unless you put the screws.
Is it normal ?
From what I see even if I try to adjust the suspension springs those parts are blocking the chassis. That looks like it cuts the possibility to get the platter higher.
Bild

Bild

Bild

I am desperate... :cry: :cry:
While in this other thread - "Braun PS 500 Plattendreher perfekt verpacken?" - have you seen Phil's contribution?
I'll quote that here, too:
thebeathunters hat geschrieben: 14.06.2011, 01:12 :D thanks to derlange who was a big big help and support to adjust the level of my ps500 after some hectic transportation.
we borrowed on his technique for the best part but succeeded in a simpler way.
so here's "ps500 level-control for dummies"
8) phil
Bild
The only other reasons for your problem I can think of are
a) the hight (i.e. thickness) of the sub platter is not sufficient - maybe wrong sub platter (hi, experts: did Braun use different sub platters??)
b) the platter that came with the PS500 is the wrong type (hi, experts: is that possible??)

Yours, Gereon

edit 15:00: Now I can think of a third reason...:
These "nuts" (distance bolts?) you circled in red - I think they may were not screwed in originally.
(At least I've seen a similar chassis of a PS4xx without them.)
They look a little bit like these:
Bild

There should be a thread for the transport screws in the sockets under them (marked yellow):
Bild
Can you screw these nuts/distance bolts off these sockets?

edit 19:40: Got to say it again - this is not my turf, so these are just ideas...
Henry David Thoreau

remivill
Neuling
Neuling

#5 Beitrag von remivill » 06.02.2021, 21:01

Thank you !!

The "distance nuts" are impossible to remove. They are very very very tight so I assume they are original to the chassis.
Service manual says the platter should be 4mm from the faceplate... I really don't know how one can acheive that distance.

Cheers

remivill
Neuling
Neuling

#6 Beitrag von remivill » 07.02.2021, 02:25

remivill hat geschrieben: 06.02.2021, 21:01
Service manual says the platter should be 4mm from the faceplate... I really don't know how one can acheive that distance.
I found a way.... by cheating. Making the platter beleive it is 4mm over the faceplate. I tried to make a spacer that I put between the sub platter and the platter.
I made sure tha alignment was correct and started the machine. Platter is turning and there is no rubbing anymore.
The speed is OK and stable.

I am now left to optimise my unorthodox solution. I guess it will stay that way.

Wathever works !!

Cheers
R

zbyszek
Jungspund
Jungspund

#7 Beitrag von zbyszek » 05.03.2021, 22:48

Hi

There are two possible reasons for the issue.

1. If the platter is not parallel to the top plate when the transport screws are put in - the subchasis is skewed

2. If the platter is parallel to the top plate when the transport screws are put in, but is still too close to the top plate and scratches the surface - the spindle has been most likely pushed into the subchasis by the weight of the platter. Remove the bottom plate and check if the end of the spindle is not protruding too much from the bottom of the subchasis. If if is, use a small hammer to move it back to position.
PS500, CD4, T2, CSV 13, Regie 501k, Regie 510, L60

Antworten