Nachricht
Autor
martinblack607
Neuling
Neuling

BRAUN SK5 motor speed issues

#1 Beitrag von martinblack607 » 16.12.2019, 00:38

Hello!

I work at an amplifier repair shop in Portland OR, USA and recently a friend brought in a broken SK5. The amplifier works, however I'm having trouble because the motor is turning too slowly. I have used rubber rejuvenator on the rubber wheel that turns the platter. Also when turned off, the spindle turns freely and doesn't feel seized.

Does anyone have any motor replacement leads? Are there are newer motors that can replace this motor?

Also, I'm curious if anyone has hardwired the device that turns the motor on and off? There are two pins that form a U shape that fit around a cylinder type mechanism that powers the motor. Ive bent the pins back, but does anyone have experience hard wiring this mechanism?

Thank you! :D

wickerge
Braun-Spezi
Braun-Spezi

Re: BRAUN SK5 motor speed issues

#2 Beitrag von wickerge » 16.12.2019, 18:08

Hello Martin,
are you familiar with those old record players? This one is turned on by moving the tone arm slightly to the left and it is shut off by the movement of the tone arm towards the innermost ring of a single. The speed is selected by the white control left of the tone arm. This moves the rubber disk driving the platter up and downwards. On the electric motor there is an axle with several different diameter steps, each for a different rotational speed, and the rubber disk is moved to the correct diameter by the control.

Maybe it would be helpful to show some pictures, making your questions more clear.

Best Regards
Gerhard

martinblack607
Neuling
Neuling

#3 Beitrag von martinblack607 » 02.01.2020, 03:34

Gerhard + Braun community,

This is the first Braun I've worked on, however I'm becoming familiar with the mechanism. Essentially, the motor is 'weak'. It spins, but not nearly fast enough. The spindle doesn't feel tight or stuck, because it can rotate freely when moved by hand. It is also seeing 120v and is in the right voltage setting underneath the platter. Are there any replacement motors or part warehouses?

wickerge
Braun-Spezi
Braun-Spezi

#4 Beitrag von wickerge » 02.01.2020, 08:57

Hello Martin,
there are 4 winding packages around the motor axes. Each of them should have 400 Ohm resistance. Is the wiring OK?

The motor is not a very powerfull motor - what makes you shure that it is running at a speed to low?

Herzliche Grüße
Gerhard

martinblack607
Neuling
Neuling

#5 Beitrag von martinblack607 » 28.12.2020, 03:42

I'll have to check the resistances of each of the winding packages.

The plater turns too slowly for the 33rpm records. Even when i put the SK5 to the 45 setting, my 33rpm records still don't quite get up to speed.

Thanks for responding!

Antworten